Friday 26 December 2014

How To Make An Authentic Chiton

The other day whilst perusing the Internet, I came upon a set of instructions for making a chiton, or Greek tunic. It’s surprisingly simple, and best of all no sewing is required. All you need is a white sheet, five safety pins, a belt, and a friend to model it for you. The latter was supplied by one of my buddies, who we’ll just call Mymy.

STEP ONE - Fold the sheet lengthwise until it’s as long as you want the chiton to be. Traditionally it was worn to the ankle, but Mymy and I decided to be scandalous and made ours shorter.



STEP TWO - Grasp one side of the sheet and hold it in front of your body. Note that I said side, not corner. You want to grab the cloth a few inches behind that. See how Mymy holds it?


STEP THREE - Wind the other half around your back.



STEP FOUR - Pin the two top corners together. If you don’t have a pin, hairbands will suffice.



STEP FIVE - Take the piece of material held in your right hand and attach it to the corresponding cloth behind your back. Greek women used brooches, but again, pins or hair ties will suffice. Once this step is completed, you will have created the first sleeve. Slip your arm through.



STEP SIX - Repeat Step Five using the material in your left hand.




STEP SEVEN - Next pin the slit on your left together. Tie a belt around the middle, strike a pose, and you’re done. Congratulations!



If you decide to give the chiton a try, let me know how it went in the comments. I’d be happy to answer any questions.

4 comments:

  1. I've seen pictures of this type of clothing before, but I didn't know what to call it. I have a story character who wears a greek dress and I wasn't sure what it call it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I see pictures of people, my stalker nature resurfaces. :P I'm guessing…Monkeymyrah?

    ReplyDelete